Houston Chronicle & San Antonio Express-News columnist Chris Tomlinson chats with Trey Elling about FORGET THE ALAMO: THE RISE AND FALL OF AN AMERICAN MYTH. Questions include:
- What myth about the Alamo is this book aiming to dispel?
- Why does he believe slavery is the primary reason Mexico sent troops into Texas?
- What kept Santa Anna from accepting William Travis’ surrender before the battle?
- How many of those at the Alamo were actually slave owners?
- Did Davy Crockett die fighting to the death?
- How was LBJ guilty of “Alamo syndrome”?
- How should the Alamo be taught in schools?